Thursday, October 18, 2007

Midterms

Sorry it's been so long since our last post. Sam has been bogged down with grading midterms and I've been bogged down with taking them. Well, I guess I haven't really "taken" any midterms, but I had to turn in a few midterm projects this week so that counts. There's been a flurry of trip planning since getting back from Sonata's wedding as well. Our friends Jer and Lisa and their 9 mo old, Zach, are visiting at the end of the month. We're heading up to Tuscany with them. I'm really looking forward to it. We've been avoiding Tuscany a bit so as not to spoil the freshness of the experience. We've done our fair share of wine research though to make sure we're well versed for the trip... very well versed. Adrian, one of my roommates from Columbia, and the Savage three have also just made plans to go to Istanbul in mid-November. I've been yearning to go to Istanbul for the past 12 years so you can imagine my excitement!

As for more local news, Sam and I are just getting underway with the conversation partners that we found. Mine is an architect here in Viterbo. His name is Fausto. We meet twice a week and do an Italian/English exchange. He speaks a bit of English but I think he wants to improve upon it 1) because his girlfriend is American, though they converse in Italian, and 2) because his business is about to hit it big. He just won a young architect's competition in the states. He's designing an international art institute called OMI up in Hudson, NY. Anyway, makes for good conversation. He has all sorts of interesting artist friends that drop by his studio while we talk - very fun. Sam is about start with his conversation partner next week, so I'll fill you in on her once I get the low down.

I've also had my first Italian "girls" night. I think they'll be quite educational. First lession: make sure you pronounce "penne" properly and use it in context.

penne = a type of pasta
pene = penis

Very wily, those Italians.

No pictures today, but I'll work on getting more this weekend. In lieu of pictures I'm attaching a link to wood shop we found on our last trip to Orvieto. A whole section of town is devoted to his impressive work. His work is really folksy, and whimsical, and beautiful. Here's a link if you want to check it out. www.michelangeli.it/bottega/arredo_urbano.htm (double click on the images for a better look).

No comments: