Monday, June 16, 2008

Nana & Jhaju

So, I'm finally getting to post about my parents visit. It was wonderful, horrible, and exhausting all at once.

It was absolutely wonderful to see my parents after such a long time away. It was especially nice seeing them with Eli. They are in full-on grandparent mode these days and are loving every minute they get to spend with him. They were the most playful and engaged audience Eli has had in months. Eli still calls for Nana and Jhaju with regularity.

My dad had never been to Rome or Florence so I thought it would be a great trip for him. I thought we'd have a great time showing him around as well. We had a few days in Rome, followed by a few days in Viterbo. My parents then headed up to the Cinque Terre for a few nights on their own. Eli and I met up with them in Florence for the weekend. However, my best laid plans were for naught. I quickly found out that my dad doesn't have much interest in travel anymore - or sightseeing, or eating, or spending money on anything. Oh, and Italy is run by the mob and tax evaders, therefore everyone here is dishonest and intentionally ripping you off. Though this statement, made by my dad often during the visit, is probably at least half true, it doesn't make for pleasant touring. Needless to say, it was a rough week. (My mom would want me to note though that she was a perfect angel during the trip, which she was.)

I'm looking forward to seeing them again soon... on their turf.


Above: Touring Cappranica during their Santa Maria festival. The town was blanketed in paper flowers. It was home spun beauty at it's best.
Below: My parents at the Villa Lante.



Above: My parents with Eli at the Boboli Gardens in Florence.
Below: Nana and Eli in the Boboli Gardens.



Above: A view of Tuscany.

No comments: