Thursday, September 20, 2007

A tall glass of water

So we're really getting settled in now. Eli is teething and has a fever today, but other than that, we've finally had a fairly routine week.

I just got back from my sketchbook class in Tuscania. Shamefully, I still haven't taken any decent pictures of this absolutely beautiful town, but I did manage to get a quick snapshot of the vista that we sketched in class this morning. It's not the most picturesque vista Tuscania has to offer by any means, but I think the teacher liked it for the "structural challenges" it presented. We spent the rest of the morning sketching a colossal set of warped stairs. My drawing left something to be desired. Despite my frustration, I'm enjoying the class quite a bit.


The painting class is the one I'm really excited about though. I've attached my first two paintings so you can say you knew me when... ha ha. The slightly wonky cup at the top of the canvas was my first effort, and the glass of water was my second. Sam's already sick of hearing about the glass of water, but I have to say I'm quite proud of it. I feel like I've found a new passion. Next week get out of the putty realm and start mixing more colors so I can't wait see how that goes.


Otherwise, nothing much new to report. I've decided I'm going to try and swim regularly while I'm here. I had to have a physical yesterday to be permitted to enter a pool. It's a funny law that Italy has - they won't let you swim unless you receive a clean bill of health from a doctor. Of course my "physical" consisted of the doctor looking me up and down and saying "You look healthy" so it seems like a bunch of nonesense. Also, apparently you're only allowed to swim for one hour at a time. They brand you with a colored wristband when you go in. When you're color times out, you have to leave.

There's a school field trip to an Etruscan excavation site tomorrow. I'm hoping Eli will be feeling better so we can tag along. We also have some day trips planned for this weekend, so we'll have more to report very soon.

Ciao for now!

No comments: