Sunday, September 7, 2008

Second year, many firsts.

We arrived only two days prior to the students this year so we hit the ground running. We arrived on Thursday and spent the weekend fighting jet lag. Sam was back to work on Friday with meetings and placement tests etc.

Monday was also Eli's first day at the asilo nido (Italian pre-school). It was a rough week. Much confusion and many tears were involved. By the end of the week Eli would cry if I even mentioned the word "kids". (I mentioned kids often because I thought would be a selling point for the whole experience, "There'll be lots of kids there....") Doh! By the end of the week though, there was less emotion behind the tears and I think (I hope) he was beginning to settle in. We're gradually working our way up to half days, 9 to 1pm, so I can take an Italian class in the mornings. I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip, but any and all supportive messages would be much appreciated ;-)

Speaking of Italian class, I attended my first on Friday. I'm taking the class with the high school students at Sam's school. They're definitely a very professional bunch. I, however, have forgotten what it's like to hold a pencil. I have to spend some extra hours this next week getting my act together.

We also interviewed our first Italian ObGyn on Friday. Actually, she's French and speaks English which is a plus. In fact we love her. She doesn't have patience for Italian superstition nonsense, of which there is much surrounding pregnancy and birth. It'd be very Brangelina: French doctor, the birth in Rome... But we have to work out the insurance first. She might be off limits to us. Next up is an Italian doctor in Viterbo. It's rumored that they don't allow drugs during the birthing process at the hospital in Viterbo (example A of provincial beliefs). If that's true, it's going to be either Rome or Umbria! We'll keep you posted.

Even with all that going on, we managed to fit in the Santa Rosa festival on Wednesday and Thursday of last week. We also went to Orte last night to take part in a huge feast celebrating their patron saint. The food was fabulous. Both events hold up in our second year in attendance. All in all, a good start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo. Long time no hear! im finally posting a blog - very cool. The U.S. pictures are awesome and a blast from the past (Sammy good to see that the fam is doing well) for me. Sounds like you guys are having a blast in Italia. I'm definitely coming to visit some time soon (maybe early next year). Take it easy guys, luca PS-Congrats on Baby Savage Part Deux!